Thursday, May 16, 2019

Fruits from Latin America to the world

Eating fruits and vegetables is key to a healthy diet. Latin America is a major producer of nutritious and high-quality fruits enjoyed around the world. Here are some facts about five different fruits from five different Latin American countries.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that adults consume at least 400 grams of fruits and vegetables per day. Latin America is one of the major producers of fruits and vegetables consumed by people around the world. The entire fruit and vegetable value chain – farmers, processors, exporters/importers, retailers, cooperatives, and agricultural companies – needs to work together to increase food production in both quantity and quality to serve the planet’s growing population. To achieve that, it requires innovative solutions and modern tools that are capable of increasing productivity and quality and safeguarding responsible and sustainable food production. Bayer – especially with its more than 65 Food Chain Partnership initiatives in the region – has offered support and expertise to Latin American farmers, helping them market their fruits and vegetables internationally.

 

Lemons from Argentina

  • Lemons are very versatile fruits that can be used, for example, as a condiment in various meat and fish dishes or for desserts and juices.
  • Rich in vitamin C, lemons help strengthen the immune system, for example when fighting flus and colds or when treating constipation.
  • Lemons help protect organs from degenerative diseases and infections.
  • Argentina is the world’s fourth largest lemon producer, with more than 1,675,000 tons produced in 2018, most of it exported to the United States, Europe, Canada, and Asia.
    • According to the Argentine Citrus Federation (Federcitrus), lemons accounted for 65% of all citrus exports in 2017.
    • According to Argentina’s Ministry of Agribusiness, lemon plantations make up 38% of the country’s total land area dedicated to the cultivation of citrus.
    • Around 150,000 Argentinians are dependent, directly or indirectly, on the domestic citrus sector.

 

Apples from Brazil

  • Apples are rich in pectin, a type of soluble fiber found in the peel of the fruit that helps reduce bad cholesterol (LDL).
  • Apple consumption prevents premature aging, protects the voice and throat, strengthens the immune system, helps the digestive system, and fights anemia.
  • Brazil produces approximately 1.3 million tons of apples per year, with more than 50% of this coming from Santa Catarina, a region with more than two thousand producers.
    • The main market for the Brazilian apple is the domestic one, which absorbs 90% of the country’s apple production, of which 80% is consumed fresh and the remaining 20% is used in the juice and jelly industry.
    • Only between 5 and 10% of all apples grown in Brazil are exported, with India as the main destination.

 

Grapes from Chile

  • Grapes offer several health benefits due to the phenolic compounds they contain, which are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial (inhibiting the development of microbes), and anti-carcinogenic (acting in the prevention of cancer), among other properties.
  • Chile is the leading fruit exporter in the Southern Hemisphere and the world's leading exporter of table grapes and blueberries, with most of it going to the United States.

 

Bananas from Ecuador

  • Bananas are rich in potassium, which is ideal for lowering blood pressure, and in fiber, which helps normalize intestinal transit, improving constipation problems without the use of laxatives.
  • Eating a banana between meals helps maintain adequate blood sugar levels, fighting fatigue.
  • In 2018, a total of 265.9 million boxes of bananas were exported from Ecuador – about 14 million more boxes than in 2017.
    • According to the Ecuadorian Association of Banana Exporters, sales to the European Union have increased, and this is now a major market for Ecuador.

 

Tomatoes from Mexico

  • Eating tomatoes helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, as they are rich in vitamin C and lycopene, two antioxidants that help transport oxygen in the blood and improve blood flow.
  • Tomatoes help combat body inflammations, prevent and control diabetes, and reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis.
  • In 2017, Mexico exported 1,596,571 tons of tomatoes.
    • The main importer of Mexican tomatoes is the United States, which is, in fact, the world’s main tomato importer, with 90.1% of all tomato imports coming from Mexico.
    • The five main producing states in Mexico are Sinaloa, San Luis Potosí, Michoacán, Jalisco, and Zacatecas.

 

These articles might also be of interest:
Understanding the food we eat
Protecting citrus in Argentina

Bayer Division Crop Science

Food Chain Partnership
Phone: +49 2173 38 48 28
Fax: +49 2173 38 33 83

Save the date

Fruit Logistica

Berlin, Germany, February 5-7, 2020

Copyright © Bayer AG